Chief Operating Officer
Reporting to: CEO
Location: Catalyst Inc (formerly Northern Ireland Science Park), Titanic Quarter, Belfast
NOTE: This position is now filled.
Established in 2005, Export Technologies is one of the leading technology companies in Northern Ireland and one of the UK’s foremost ecommerce platform providers. The company is a Deloitte Fast 50 company five years running.
The company comprises two divisions:
- A product division that develops an award-winning ecommerce platform (the IRP)
- A commercial division that functions as a Systems Integrator for the IRP platform and provides consultancy services.
The company’s platform and approach has allowed mid-market businesses based in the UK and Ireland alone to transact more than £1 billion GBP. Clients include retail, manufacturing and distribution businesses in both the B2C and B2B sectors.
The company has had a heavy R&D focus producing some of the most exciting software in the ecommerce industry. It has also had good commercial traction and is committed to expanding its commercial reach across the UK, Ireland and beyond. To help the company achieve their goals, the company is now seeking an experienced and highly-motivated Chief Operating Officer (COO).
This role represents a huge opportunity for a talented commercial individual to play a key part in the development of one of Northern Ireland’s leading technology companies.
The primary responsibilities of the COO role will be as follows:
- To be accountable for the revenue of the business.
- To run the sales teams and to feed back into the marketing department for ongoing improvements.
- To be actively involved in sales when required, especially for larger contracts.
- To manage partner relationships and to maximise their opportunity.
- To manage and feed back into the improvement of the commercial model.
- To assist in the management of customer relationships when required.
- To maximise the opportunity of the business.
- To continually improve the operational side of the company.
- To travel when necessary.
- To report to the company Directors and Board.
The successful candidate will be expected to fulfil the following functions:
(a) Strategy Performance
- To follow the company strategy and create a workable project plan against which staff will have clearly-defined roles and responsibilities.
- To set clear, achievable but challenging goals for the organisation and to measure performance in relation to those goals.
- To ensure that the company works within financial budgets and constraints.
- To maximise the financial support available from third parties, such as Invest NI, to fund the strategy.
(b) Staff Management
- To recruit and hire staff for the best roles to complement the team.
- To train and provide ongoing Continuing Professional Development (CPD) for staff to maximise their performance.
- To set clear KPIs and goals for staff that are aligned with the Systems Integrator targets and requirements.
- To assess and motivate staff on an ongoing basis.
- To deal with under performance in the correct manner.
(c) Customer Management
- To meet with customers regularly in order to understand their individual needs and to identify customer-specific strategies and targets.
- To review past performance in as real time as possible and ensure that strategies are accurate and reflect changing customer — and wider market — circumstances.
- To ensure that each customer is supported in a manner that best fits their needs.
- To ensure that each customer is utilising the IRP system optimally and that they are using insights and data to improve their figures on an ongoing basis.
- To ensure that customers are retained and managed by the underlying team.
- To generate new sales leads via a multichannel approach, including but not limited to:
- Direct outbound sales
- Inbound website sales
- Social presence
- Conferences and events
- To ensure that the collateral used to support sales channels is appropriate, up to date and available to sales staff.
- To measure the performance of sales efforts and amend sales strategies accordingly.
- To ensure that existing customers are upsold all new features and services to maximise revenues.
Essential Experience & Skills:
The candidate must have:
- Significant management and leadership experience at a senior level, preferably at director level.
- Demonstrable experience of managing operational performance within financial budgets.
- Proven ability to attract new sales and retain existing customers.
- A strong track record of human resource management and staff development.
- Proven ability to plan and implement organisational strategies and operational objectives.
- Strong experience of creating and developing business opportunities, including internationally.
- A strong track record of building and managing partner relationships.
- Demonstrable and exceptional skills in the following areas:
- Interpersonal relations
- Planning and strategy implementation
- Sales and negotiation
- Business development
- Financial analysis and accounting
- Problem solving and decision making, including ability to make ‘tough’ decisions
- Presentation and communication, both written and verbal
- Project and time management
It may be beneficial that the candidate has a strong knowledge and experience of:
- Ecommerce, including international selling, particularly at the mid-market level and beyond
- Commercial software and technology
- Digital marketing and consulting
In addition, the ideal candidate will be:
- Educated to degree level with subsequent relevant professional qualification(s)
- Highly motivated, energetic and enthusiastic
- Results driven
- A great team player
Compensation and Benefits
- Highly competitive salary — negotiable, based on experience
- Matched pension contribution
- Free parking at the office
- 35 days holidays per year
- Performance related bonus
- Performance based share options
How to apply
If you feel that you have the potential to join our team and help create the future of commerce, we want to hear from you. Send your CV to: